Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Birth Day

We are so excited to announce the birth of our sweet SON! What a surprise, in so many ways.  Eric and I went to bed Friday night with no signs of potential labor.  Here's a brief timeline of events:
  • I woke up at 3:00am with mild contractions every 10 minutes.  
  • I woke Eric at 3:30.  He promptly told me to go back to sleep :)  
  • I got up at 4:00 and made pancakes.  
  • Eric got up at 4:30, joined in the pancake making process, and made coffee.
  • At 5:00 my contractions were every 3 minutes, but not intense.  We were still carrying on a conversation in the kitchen and trying to decide how many pancakes to make (we were suppose to be attending a pancake breakfast on Saturday morning - and contributing the pancakes).  Because the contractions were regular and frequent, we decided to go ahead and notify our birth team.
  • We are so thankful, and honored, to have Bohdana Fasani attend our birth.  She arrived shortly after 5:00 and served a multitude of purposes... including making some of our pancakes! 
  • Around 5:30 I threw up and contractions became more intense.  I did not return to the kitchen :)
  • Eric gave almost an hours worth of back massage. 
  • At 6:15 am we welcomed a baby boy (Jan 18, 8 lbs 2 oz)
  • At 7:00 Justice woke up to a brother :) 

I think we spent most of Saturday in shock and awe.  And attempting to rest, and calling our family.  We are adjusting well.  Justice adores her brother and wants to give endless kisses.  She seems to understand when baby "needs mama" and wants to be close.  However, she also wants to play with mama, and run outside, and go the beach, and do all the things we've been doing for the past few months... and that's been difficult.


Eric has been fabulous!  I feel much more normal that I did following Justice's birth, which makes me want to participate in household things... like doing laundry, and taking Justice to the bathroom, and the dishes, etc.  But Eric encourages me to rest, and reminds me that if I don't it'll catch up to me.  Yesterday he took Justice on a morning"date," which was fabulous enough on it's own, as it allowed me a few hours of quiet and snuggling with the baby.  AND THEN they came home with special snacks for mama, and chocolate turtles, and a decaf frappacino!  Oh, the pampering :)


So the name thing... No, we haven't named our son yet.  And No, this is not a point of tension in our home.  We, like almost all parents, want our son's name to be special and meaningful.  To put it simply, we haven't found the right name yet.  Right now, we call him one of these: baby brother, sweet boy, son, precious, love, strong one, or Baby Smash.  You can rest assured that when we do name our son, you will know, and you'll even get a post with the meaning behind the name.  Remember Justice's?

Justice reading a story to her baby brother.

3 comments:

amjwallace said...

Thank you for the play by play! What a wonderful birth story. So glad everyone is doing well and you finally get to hold that beautiful boy. Congrats and much love from east Nash!

Hannah and Jesse said...

Congratulations! We miss you guys! Hope all is going well in Hawaii!

Unknown said...

How wonderful! It is so great to see your beautiful faces. I will be keeping up with you on your blog. We think about you often!