Thursday, August 14, 2008

Will I Ever Learn?

This seems to be a lesson I may never learn. While I was in Michigan in June I was in need of a hair cut. I don't have a stylist there, and I didn't need anything special, just a trim. So I went to a walk-in hair salon. The girl was nice and it seemed okay, but upon my arrival home it was clear that the cut was uneven. My mom convinced me it wasn't that noticeable, so I kept it "until the next cut." Well I recently got my picture taken for a new ID card and let me just say it was definitely noticeable!

Let me interject in this story to say that I have a deep love for my hair. Yes, it's a bit excessive and I realize that, but it's true. It took me almost 2 years to find a stylist that I liked in IL. She was a great stylist and I trusted her. As I understand it, these people went to school to do hair. They have invested in their career and so I should trust them.

Back to the story... this week I decided to get my hair cut. As you know, I have yet to accept a job, so we're trying to be financially responsible. I found a coupon last week to another walk-in salon here in Nashville, just one short mile from our home. And again I tell myself "it's just a cut, nothing special, it will be fine." Regardless, she is cutting MY HAIR! I know that hair grows back and all that, but I have to wear it in the meantime... I absolutely care about the quality of the cut. Well my coupon was for a SHAMPOO and CUT. I show the lady my coupon, she affirms that everything will be fine, and I take a seat in her chair. She proceeds to lightly dampen the ends of my hair and she starts cutting!

About this time I'm giving myself a mental pep-talk about being more assertive... it's my hair and I'm paying for this visit, right? So I politely ask, "Ma'am, is there a difference between cutting hair when it's dry and cutting hair when it's wet?" (Now I realize I could have and should have worded that differently. I'll work on my pep-talk skills next time.) Her response, "Oh not with your hair, it's bone straight and won't make one bit of difference."

So how do I ask again? Or maybe mention that my coupon is for a SHAMPOO and cut? It makes a difference to me and I CAN tell the difference! Yes, I know I have some work to do on being assertive. So then she's just chopping away and as she gets close to my face I get bold again and ask, "Ma'am, are you planning on framing that around my face?" And she responds, "Well, if you ask me to. Is that what you want?"

So I did learn to be more assertive, and maybe I should have been more direct from the beginning. But again I go back to my original thought, she went to school to do this career, I should trust her. And she's the stylist... shouldn't she be asking me what I want? I used to look forward to my salon visits. I could come home with a fresh look and a new bounce. This week I came home a bit frustrated, a little embarrassed, and have yet to show off my "new look."

This seems to be a lesson I may never learn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy,

My husband is an expert in local hikes and would gladly share his expertise. Just let me know.

Cindy Thomsen

tal0430 said...

LOVE the story... miss you like crazy girl. My new email is blesliesa@gmail.com

Britt