Thursday, May 15, 2014

To Come Alongside

I've just begun running again since having my second child. Needless to say, I'm out of shape. I have zero endurance and my muscles... well, what muscles? So I was at the park recently attempting to run and trying to force myself to go the extra 10 steps before walking (I have no picture of this. You can thank me later.) There was a woman walking in front of me and out of courtesy I thought, I shouldn't start walking RIGHT behind her with my heavy breathing and dramatic "I'm Dying!" look, so I'll run 10 steps past her and THEN I'll walk. Clever, I know.

As I ran toward her, she looked at me and said, "Good Job." I audibly laughed with breath I didn't even know I had. And then she continued, "You're doing great. Keep it up." My mind shifted and I thought, Oh no! I can't die here. This perfect stranger just said good job, I HAVE to continue! 

So I did. I didn't just run a few more steps to make it out of the talking zone, I ran 400 yards further. I made it further than I had planned to run, and I made it without falling on my face.

This morning, as I reflect on the motivation I received from a perfect stranger, I wonder if I am encouraging anyone in this journey of life. Who needs a pat on the shoulder and motivation to make it a few more steps? Who do I know (or maybe don't know) that feels they just need a break and want to sit down and rest for a minute? Are my eyes open to those around me?

If I really let myself think about it, there's another step. When I heard, "You're doing great! Keep it up." I did, indeed, run further than I had planned. But what would have allowed me to go even further- to push through the pain and exhaustion and find satisfaction on the other side?

What if the woman would have said, "Good job, you're doing great, and I'm gonna run this part with you?" Surely, I would have kept running. Because along the way I'm certain there would have been 100 more encouraging words, and she would have been huffing and puffing right next to me, and somewhere down the road we would have stopped together and said WOW! WE did it!

If I'm honest with myself, I'm okay at thinking about people, sending an encouraging note, and even following up. But I'm not so good at saying, "Come on. I'm doing this WITH you." Because it's inconvenient. And it interrupts my schedule. And it's messy. And almost always hard.

But I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Jesus wants me to do. When we talk about incarnational ministry, that's what we mean. Who are we doing life WITH? Jesus came to earth fully human and lived with the people, as one of us. God, open my heart and my home as I learn how to love my neighbors.

1 comment:

Candice said...

Love this. Great picture!