Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Beginning of the End

This is our last week of regular school-year programming. My last day of after-school programming is Friday. Counting today's program, we have 4 days.

We do a summer "camp" from 8-4 during the month of June, but only a handful of my kids will be attending. I know that I'll have fun (I'm actually looking forward to it a lot), but the thought of this school year ending hit me harder than anticipated. Probably because I anticipated nothing.

Yesterday I came home emotional, which surprisingly hasn't happened all that often this year. I love these kids. I love being greeted with a hug every day, being involved in almost every aspect of their lives, and having a relationship with the whole family. Some of them will move this summer, families will change, kids will grow up and some will attend middle school. This Friday may very well be the last time I see some of them. Wow. Not only have I become part of their lives, but they have become part of mine. I will miss them.

No comments: