Friday, March 4, 2011

Little Did I Know...

Little did I know when I wrote that post last week about what a long and horrible week it had been that it would get worse.  How was I to know?  I hit an all-time stress level this week where I literally could not function.  I came home, landed, and didn't move until the next day.  I think this happened a couple times.  On Wednesday I told Eric I didn't want to go to school.  I'm blessed to be working in a field that I absolutely LOVE, and I've not had that thought this year (about not wanting to go). 

Last week the teacher next door to me said, "Why are all the 3rd grade teachers dropping like flies?  And how are you still going?"  I wish I would have had the foresight to say, "My turn is coming.  Don't you see?  I'm about to crash.... give it till Tuesday." 

This week was Read-Across-America week.  Each day was themed; hat's off to hometown heroes, reading makes me so bright I just have to wear my shades, team up for reading (jerseys), favorite character day... you get the idea.  I participated on Monday when I brought a beach towel and sat on it (catch the reading wave) and I participated on Tuesday when I wore my shades as a headband.  By Wednesday I was a walking zombie and oblivious to the "extras."  And today I was part of the 3rd grade team that didn't participate (not planned, but we're all walking zombies by now), while the rest of the school looked like a good ol' fashioned Halloween party.  The kind I used to have in elementary school, fit with a parade and all.  Kids and teachers alike, all dressed as their favorite character from a book. 

Had I not been so drained, emotionally empty, both physically and mentally exhausted, I would have taken a picture or two.  However, that thought didn't cross my mind until just now, as I sit here writing this.

To recap:
  • The shelf my microwave was sitting on (3rd shelf in a bookcase) broke with my water heating inside the microwave.  Came crashing down, shattered the obnoxious pink-heart mug (see V-day post), spilled the water all over papers, posters, other book shelves... even the glass tray inside the microwave cracked.  Perfect.
  • Eric's in Dallas for a theology conference this weekend.  He was leaving on Wednesday, so he left work early on Tuesday night so we could have a minute or two together before he left.  By the time he left work, I was already sleeping on the couch.  What a jerk I am.
  • Now using my indestructible mug for tea, fit with a lid and all... I set it down to submit my attendance.  A child walked over and before I could calmly interrupt, "sit down and raise your pretty hand, precious child," she knocked over my tea... spilling on the keyboard, chair, and floor.
  • Took an orange for lunch (trying to choose healthier options these days), and sitting in solitude in my classroom because apparently that's what I needed this week.  While peeling the orange over the trash can (as to not drop peel on the floor), the orange slipped out of my hands, bounced off my khaki pants on the way down, leaving a lovely ORANGE stain, and landed squarely in the trash can.  Double negative.
  • This morning a child got out of his chair to look at the globe (to find the bordering states of Oregon... NO IDEA why he didn't use the US map).  The globe was hanging.  He pulled too hard, the rope broke, it scared the blessed child, and he dropped the globe.  Broken globe in hand, I thought the only logical thing...
"Because why wouldn't this happen to me?  Of course, I needed to finish out the week." 

OH - also about Tuesday of this week, my back/shoulder started bothering me.  Within 24 hours I was a hot mess with deep pain.  Today I had the opportunity to see the chiropractor.  He has always been able to help me with this problem.  But today, he could not.  Even tried some electric stem and heat... still nothing. 

Oh, April 16.  Please come fast.

2 comments:

Julia said...

wow, joy. with all the crazy things going on, i'm amazed you're still able to write in complete sentences! i hope it gets better soon!! :)

Amy said...

Hang in there lady!!!! You are still an amazing teacher, with such passion. You are the type of teacher I want my children to have some day!!!

I love you!