Monday, May 30, 2011

Homemade Salsa Success!

I made salsa today for the first time.  Admittedly, I built up more excitement/anticipation than the salsa could possibly live up to, but it was still good. 

Not an excellent picture, but here it is.

















I used this recipe from food network as a starting point:
Ingredients
3 ripe plum tomatoes (about 3/4 pound) or 1 (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup chopped red or yellow onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Emeril's Hot Sauce or other red hot sauce

Directions
In the bowl of a food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse until the salsa is mostly smooth but still slightly chunky, about 7 pulses.

Transfer to a bowl. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to serve the nachos.

My alterations:
I was inspired to try salsa because we received fresh cilantro and garlic scapes in our CSA this weekend.  So... instead of garlic cloves, I used scapes.  And apparently I bought the wrong kind of tomatoes, but I'm not sure how that makes a difference (I'm no tomato expert).  Finally, I don't have a food processor :)  I do have a food chopper that works really well, so I have tiny pieces of tomatoes and onions, and I really like it!  I doubled the recipe, and I'm glad I did.  I love salsa!  This recipe ended up very fresh tasting, and light. 

Eric wasn't as pleased, so he blended a small portion and added red pepper.  I wouldn't be surprised if he adds jalapeno, too.  He wanted a bit more of a "kick." 

Regardless, I would call it a successful first attempt.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

looks delicious! I love salsa too, especially homemade salsa. I'm printing the recipe!