Saturday, November 10, 2012

Celebration Plates

 About a month ago I was reading a dear friend's blog and saw a picture of her "Celebration Plate." The idea is that any time someone is celebrating something (first day of kindergarten, birthday, promotion, etc) they get to eat off the Celebration Plate. (Thanks, Britt!) She decorated one for her family with a Dr. Seuss theme "Oh, the places you will go!" Clever, huh? Well, right around the same time I noticed "plate making" appeared on the calendar for the MOMS group I am a part of.

My MOMS club hosted the activity primarily as an "easy Christmas gift for a family member - have your kid color a picture and make it into a plate." The plates turned out adorable, and some super clever mamas helped their children create masterpieces, and hand prints, and beautiful works of art that will be given away this Christmas season. Well my dear Justice wasn't going to be coloring, and since I have zero creativity in me, I borrowed Brittany's inspiration!

I first decided to make a plate for Justice. I thought I would use Brittany's idea and pull out the plate for special Justice moments. I landed on this (with some help from Eric). We have called Justice "J-Bird" since birth - so out came this simple-yet-meaningful image.



During this process, I was doing some googling of celebration plates to gather a bit more creativity. And the more I thought about it, the more convinced I became that we needed a family plate. As our family grows, and ages, I want to celebrate all members. I also think our children will need to see Eric and I celebrating each other and rejoicing together over special occasions. And out came our first ever family plate!

I love it.

I'm a little annoyed that some of the words aren't straight, or evenly spaced, but I'm trying to let go of my it's not perfect attitude, and cling to the reality that it's so much more! We have so much to be thankful for, so why not start by being thankful for one another?