Thursday, December 6, 2012

First Sewing Project

My beautiful mom gifted me with a sewing machine as an early birthday present :)

Or the real story... I showed her a pattern I wanted to try, asked for her help, and she loaded me and the baby into the car.  We returned with a sewing machine, set it up, and then she had to leave for the airport.  Yep, she stranded me.

And when I sat down to try a few days later, it got stuck.  Before I had even sewed ONE straight line, the machine was stuck.  My first thought, This is why I asked for help, Mom.  Was quickly followed by my second thought, I'm calling her right now! So I called my lovely mom on facetime, showed her the sewing machine and the parts I had removed, and she talked me through fixing it right on the phone.  Gotta love technology, and moms.

So a few sessions later, I actually do have my first project completed (except for one row of embroidery branch stitching - what is that, anyway?).  This was intended to be ready for Justice's 1st birthday.  While it wasn't finished (or even started) on her actual birthday, I still plan on calling it her 1st birthday gift.



I do truly hope that I come to love this sewing machine.  But one thing is certain, every time I sit down to use it, I'm sure to think of my mom and my grandma and all of the heartfelt gifts I have received.  I'm so excited to continue sewing for (and someday with) Justice.

1 comment:

Rachel Sullens said...

Hey Joy, I actually just took a beginning sewing class in Smyrna. It was super helpful! You only meet three times once a week. They reach you how to sew a children's outfit, in your case a girls dress, and they teach you how top do an appliq. Check them out. It's called Stitchers Playhouse.