Saturday, December 8, 2012

Finger Nails

My nails look like this right now:



Fridays are dubbed "Fun Friday" at the after-school ministry I work for.  During the week the kids work hard on homework, reading, and other enrichment activities.  Fun Friday is a reward for the week's efforts.  Volunteers teach classes like sewing, painting, football camp, percussion, duct tape art, guitar, music production, tennis, and nail painting.

Yesterday a young girl kindly asked, "Ms. Joy, will you come into our nail salon?"  And while I rarely sit down to enjoy a class, and never have colored nails, I thought why not?  Little did I know my nails would be 3 shades of brightness with polka-dots, but it's okay.  It's good.  Because yesterday the relationship between 4 young girls and myself was more important than the outcome of my nails.

I pray I will stop going, going, going.  That I will participate in relationship building opportunities. To sit, and simply be in the presence of those around me.

No comments: