Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 in Review

What can I say about 2012?  A lot, actually.

I quit my job, moved to a new home/neighborhood, started a new job, stopped using shampoo (and lotion, and face wash, and a bunch of other harmful chemicals on my skin), got rid of (almost) all harmful chemicals/cleaners in the house, and in general tried to live life a little more simply.  We recycle and compost now, and can't really believe we went so long without recycling and composting. We were so wasteful (and probably still are in a whole bunch of other ways).

In the midst of these changes, we took a really expensive vacation to Hawaii.  I know, it doesn't really fit the bill.  But some really great friends moved to Hawaii in 2011 - and we saved our pennies (ok - Eric saved his pennies), and we used Christmas money (Eric's Christmas money), and all of our tax return, and we WENT!  We stayed with our friends for most of the trip, and ate their food, so about 90% of our expense was the airplane ticket.  It was wonderful!

Aside from our lovely, and very out-of-the-ordinary, vacation what I hope to remember about 2012 is Justice's first year of life.  It has been wonderful!  Or perhaps we're in such a sweet spot with her right now that I'm forgetting those first few months of sleepless survival-mode, but I'm okay with my memory forgetting the not-so-great :)

She has grown so much this year, and amazes us daily at her comprehension.  Of course, we think, believe, know she's adorable ;) She is so fun to watch, and play with.  We love to hear her giggle and squeal in delight.  Every day brings new blessings as her parents.  And so, 2012, thanks for allowing me to quit working full-time.  It's a decision I will never regret.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy! I was just reading your blog. It is fun to see Justice growing up! I was just telling Sammy that some day he will be sitting, walking, and talking like her. I am glad to know that you have no regrets about quitting working full-time. I am not going back to school this year, and would really like to only work part-time next year. How have you liked your part-time job? Also, how did you find your MOMS club? I think I would like to join one. Hope to talk to you soon!
-Heather Schlegel