Saturday, July 13, 2013

Ordination

I, Joy, was ordained this week as an Elder with the Church of the Nazarene.  I have been working towards this for a while now - officially the past 5 years.  But even before that I was preparing through schooling, and even earlier than that, God was preparing my heart.

I don't come from a family of ministers.  When asked the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?"  I'm fairly certain I never answered "a pastor." I didn't think or wish myself into this vocation.  So often when working with children I hear influencial adults encourage them, "you can be anything you want be..."  I actually have a different belief.

Sure, if you want to be good at math, you can practice and study and work hard and you'll likely improve.  Similarly, if you want to be an all-star athlete, you should probably get yourself to the practice field, or the gym, or the weight room.  And maybe if you really set your mind to a particular vocation you can do it.  But I believe God gifts us, all of us.  For the students I work with, I hope and pray they find the sweet spot where God's gifting and their passions intersect.  And as they get older, I hope influencial adults are asking more than "What do you want to be?"  Maybe something like, "What are your gifts?"  Or "Where do you see God working in your life?"  Because sometimes God has a different plan.

I never intended to be a pastor.  Fairly early in my life I knew I had a knack for working with children, and I liked it.  I babysat, taught sports camps, helped at VBS.  I entered college as an education major, because it made sense.  But God had something else in mind.  So I tried social work.  Again, that wasn't it.  When I opened my mind to the idea that I should STOP looking for "what makes sense" and START to hear God's call, it was loud and clear.

I majored in Children's Ministry at Olivet Nazarene University, and my first job out of college was as a Children's Pastor at a Nazarene Church.  The way my gifts, abilities, passions aligned for this job was an uncanny fit.  I loved it, and still do!  I've learned a lot about myself; my strengths and weaknesses in leadership.  There have been difficult times and situations, and there have been marvalous times.  But one thing I know for certain: God has called me here.

In 2010 I went back to school at Trevecca Nazarene University for my Master's in Teaching.  I find it a bit humorous that I left education in the beginning, and returned to it later, but I'm also incredibly grateful (in my situation) that the ministry foundation is first.  In the past few years I have been able to blend my passion for teaching children to read with my ultimate desire that those very children would know Christ in a real way.

This week, as we celebrated my ordination, I am grateful for a God who calls.  I am still learning to hear God's voice and I hope to never stop learning.



Being prayed for by all present ordained ministers.
Pastor Erik Gernand praying specifically for us. 

No comments: