Tuesday, February 15, 2011

V-day

I'm a day late - but yesterday was Valentine's Day.  Eric and I don't celebrate the day.  I find it quite disgusting that chocolates, flowers and balloons can be twice their average price on this fancy holiday.  If you want to buy flowers, great!  But do it on a different week and save a buck.  Anyway, we were in Target on Saturday so we picked out cards for each other, traded, got a good laugh from the cards we had chosen, and placed them back on the shelf.  And that was our extent of "celebrating."

I planned a Valentine's party at school basically because I knew the kids would want to trade cards.  So I sent a little letter home about our party with everyone's name so students could accuractly address cards :)  I let parents know that I would be making cupcakes, and they were free to send other goodies if they chose.  I expected a few bags of chips.  I was blown away!  The "goodies" just kept coming!

Also new to me, the way kids show appreciation for their teacher.  Here's a taste of my gifts from the day.  Though most of these are trinkets you could pick up at any dollar store (except the carnations, and single rose), I do feel loved and appreciated.  Especially so with this obnoxious pink-heart mug.  The precious boy said, "I wanted you to have this for the tea you drink everyday."  Awww!  I had to re-heat my tea about 5 times today before it was gone because it got cold so fast, but I just had to use the mug.  And the child had a huge smile across his face all day long. 

I do love teaching.

No comments: