Saturday, July 26, 2008

Community Noises

We live in a new area. We're close to a fairly large city, and our complex is off a main street. The first noise you would expect to hear is that of traffic. You're right, we do hear a lot of traffic... but that's only the beginning!

We also have a hospital behind us... maybe 1/4 of a mile. We hear ambulances day and night. We don't mind them most of the time, I think we're getting used it. I just have to remind myself "It's the hospital, not the area we live in."

We landed ourselves in a predominately Hispanic area. Our neighborhood, the grocery store, international markets on every corner, signs I cannot read up and down all near streets... it's interesting. We don't mind it at all, and Eric speaks some Spanish, but it's still catches me off guard sometimes to hear another language that I cannot understand. There are definite perks to living in this area. 1. Pick up soccer, any time of day, in all open fields and parks. 2. A wonderful variety of Mexican restaurants that are very authentic. 3. Seeing God more clearly. "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." Genesis 1:27

But perhaps the strangest noise, and one that will take the most getting used to, are the airplanes. Much to my dismay, we live about 2 miles from the Nashville airport. I did not know this before we moved in (yes, poor research on my part). One will never be ready or prepared for the sound that comes with a landing airplane. It shakes our windows, rattles our ears, and temporarily suspends conversations. It even warrants a "pause" in movies while we let the plane pass. As you would imagine, it is especially annoying in the minutes before falling into a deep sleep. We experienced one of these moments a few nights ago. In our groggy, almost asleep voices...

Joy: I think that one is coming to get us.

Eric: I think it's gonna fly through our house.

No comments: