Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Male Gender

What makes them so unique? Here are a few musings from recent weeks with my husband...

Tidiness is like a foreign term. Where Eric takes his shoes off, they will stay. They will NEVER make it to the closet. Same with the dishes. Where he finishes eating, they will stay. They seldom make it to the kitchen and rarely make it to the dishwasher. He recently told me I was "wasting my words" by asking him to put his dishes IN the dishwasher. What was I thinking?! And this morning there were 2 folded blankets on a chair needing to be put away. Eric wanted that chair and instead of putting the blankets away, he merely moved them to another chair!

The laundry... I will never understand this one. Eric will wait until the LAST second to do laundry. I mean to the point of having no undergarments left to wear. Then it's a huge rush to do his laundry. Let me quickly insert that Eric does his own laundry, and for that I am very thankful :) So this huge rush happens so he can have clean clothes and then what? THEY SIT IN THE DRYER FOR DAYS! Eric is now living out of our dryer. He also doesn't like his clothes wrinkled. A female would fold or hang her clothes to avoid wrinkles. Eric...? He'll just push the "start" button on the dryer and let them tumble a little more. His clothes will not disappear until I need the dryer and remove them myself.

On the clothes topic... Why is it that men have their favorite outfits that they wear again, and again, and again, and again while ignoring the rest of their closet? Eric has some nice clothes that he looks great it. Does he wear them? NO! He wears t-shirts everyday. He also has a wide variety of t-shirts. Does he wear them? NO! He definitely wears the same 4-5 t-shirts again, and again, and again, and again. By the way, he does the same thing with towels. He will only use HIS towel. What's wrong with the new ones that match our bathroom?

While I've dedicated this post to my husband, I need to take a moment to mention the positives.
  • Eric cooks! He prepares the meat portion of our meals 98% of the time & I love it :)
  • Eric is fun. Life is never boring or dull... he makes me laugh!
  • Eric appreciates me. He is very loving, thoughtful and caring... and he tells me!
  • Eric thinks. His favorite things are to read and study. He will not let his brain go to waist and he challenges me to do the same (I'm still learning).
  • Eric cares about people. His love for humankind is contagious. He whole-heartedly believes that we are the glory of God and he lives that way.
I love my husband. While his nuances are frustrating, they do make me smile :) He is wonderful.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I have to admit, I do the same thing with the dryer! I don't leave our clothes in their for days, but when something is wrinkled--I'll go to the dryer much before I use an iron :) Tom is very similar, so I do think it's just a guy thing. This is what kills me--he drinks a pop, and instead of putting the bottle away, or even just leaving it on the table for me to take care of, he decides it will be a great toy for the cats! He then throws the bottle at them, which of course they don't care about, and it proceeds to be on the floor for a week!! When Tom wants to clean though--he's actually better at it than I am, so that's nice :)

Joy said...

So glad to hear that I'm not alone! And also thankful for the humor it creates... we laugh a lot :)