Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Orchard

Eric and I went to an Apple Orchard today. It was great to be outside and away from the house for a little while. We picked about 10 lbs of apples, bought a fried pie, and drank an apple slushy. The fried pie thing was new. When Eric asked "What's a fried pie?" the woman replied, "Are you from the North?" Turned out to be very similar to McDonald's apple pies, except better!

So I spent some of the afternoon peeling, slicing and freezing apples. I'm super excited about this new food to work with. Not that apples are new, but I have so many now! I made apple bread today (along with zucchini bread, my favorite). I sliced and froze enough for a pie, and I have PLENTY left! I've thought about apple crisp and apple muffins. If you have any other apple ideas, send them my way. I'm trying to freeze them as I would need them for a specific recipe (sliced, chopped, whole).

Also went to a Vandy game tonight... Vandy won 38-21 over Rice.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Joy,

You should make apple crisp. I don't know the recipe, but Maggie made a fabulous one last fall.

Marcus