Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 10: More on Encountering God

My gears are still turning from this Day 8 post about encountering God. In fact, my laundry is drying right now and I've been looking forward to folding it today. God is here, now. How can I better tune-in to God's presence?

I've been reflecting on different types of encounters. My previous example about attempting to read scripture while nursing was intended to be an individual encounter. It didn't work, so I'm dumping this idea. It was simply too difficult for me to "tune in" under the circumstances. This encounter needs to be a separate time carved out in my day with minimal distractions.  Maybe it's early morning, or nap time, or during Justice's independent play time.  But adding it to the middle of my day was ineffective, for the intended encounter and for optimal parenting. I'll try again at a different time of day.

Times in my day/week that involve community seem to be easier for me. Things that Eric and I have decided to do together, because of the company and because of the accountability, rarely get skipped.  Especially rhythms we've built to include Justice... that girl never forgets!

Where I've felt the need to be creative (or perhaps more aware) is seeing God in the patterns of my already existing day. Like laundry. Or Eric mentioned while doing the dishes. Our daughter has a pretty good example of capitalizing on an act that's already part of her day; using the bathroom.


Justice has been potty trained for awhile now - nearly 10 months.  Though she can take herself to the restroom on her own, she oftentimes wants me to "help her." When I get to the bathroom, she says, "I can do it!" and proceeds to do all the steps by herself.  So why does she request my "help." While I can't be certain, I have a hunch.  You see, she's more likely to go by herself during the day, when it's just us at home.  And she's more likely to request help when Eric is home.  But she doesn't request Eric's help.  In fact, when Eric tries to take her she often says, "No, mama can help me."

My hunch is that Justice uses this time in the bathroom, sometimes only 30 seconds, to connect one-on-one with her mama. When Eric is home he can take Micah, or make dinner, or do the dishes, or take over whatever I was previously doing, thus freeing mama to help Justice. Our bathroom conversations are sometimes random, but often include some reflection from the day.  Justice will tell me about a friend she played with, or a book we read. She sometimes talks about Micah, or Daddy, or asks to call Papa on the iPad. It seems to be whatever is on her mind.  And then we race back to the kitchen with happy hearts.

We all have moments like this in our day. Yes, the bathroom! Even if it's only 30 seconds. I'm sure there are other things we do every day (maybe multiple times a day). Making coffee. Brushing our teeth. Taking a shower. Exercising. Making dinner. Maybe just taking 10 seconds to focus on breathing.  These are moments where our heart's gaze can be focused on Christ's life and love for us, our neighbors, and this world.  We can learn to rest in God, even in the midst of our daily activity.

No comments: