Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 2: The Kids

*This Day 2 post is showing up as March 12, but let me be clear.  It is TUESDAY, March 11, at 10:03pm.  I have NOT missed a day yet... it's only day 2!*


Here's a picture of our healthy wee one.  Can I still call him a "wee one?"  He's huge!  Needless to say, Micah is eating quite well.  He's 7 weeks old and is falling into a good sleep/wake pattern.  I suppose "good" is a relative term, but it's becoming more and more predictable.  He is happy most of the time, smiling more, and definitely more alert with each passing day.  And Justice loves him.

Justice, on the other hand, is not the quiet and content child.  I should probably start by saying when you're one-on-one with her, she is a joy! She is saying (and repeating) lots of cute phrases.  She thrives on attention - whether good or bad - and absolutely loves people.  But we've had a rather difficult past 10-or-so days.  Just writing that phrase makes me laugh at myself.  I know this is only the beginning.  I mean, she's 2!

The behavior that drives us both bonkers the most is when we call her name and she walks (or often runs) the other direction. Ahhh. It's maddening!  And here's a battle I chose not to fight this week, Justice wanting to color without her clothes (and on the floor instead of at her little craft table).  Another good one was when she again de-robed, and then wanted to eat dinner with a bath towel tied around her.  Sure, kid.  Why not?

It's launching us into a new realm of parenthood though.  We're having to really think about our philosophy on discipline, and think about what behavior is important to us.  We want to be consistent and model predictability.  But we're also finding we need to be flexible enough to change approaches if what we're doing isn't working.

It's easy (for me) to get caught up in the play-by-play of every day and loose sight of the big picture.  Which actually brings up a bigger issue... What is the big picture?

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Joy--I love your comment about deciding what kind of behavior is important to you. We are having similar struggles with Drew! I think you have a great perspective and I like your mindset :)

Unknown said...

LOL. And this new phenomenon with Justice is precisely why it's WAY more difficult to parent two (or three) children instead of one. I have heard (though I will never have the first hand experience) that if you have 4 or more children it's considerably easier than 2 or 3! So, what are your 5 year goals? :)